Friday, March 1, 2013

Healing With Ayahuasca

In 2004 National Geographic published the article Peru: To Hell and Back, quite possibly one of the most well known articles ever published about Ayahuasca. I think this article is as important today as it was in 2004. The article shows a unique insight into the spiritual healing that can take place with Ayahuasca. 

The belief and culture of the West impresses upon us that we must cure the physical symptoms, but often times there is an underlying spiritual or emotional issues that also need to be dealt with. Ayahuasca allows us to face those issues head on, but like any other kind of healing, it is not a quick fix. There is still work that needs to be done, recognizing the issues is just the first step

The key is to take the lessons that you learn during the experience and implement them into you daily life. It's easy to say "I want to be patient" or "I want to be less of a control freak", the hard part is being aware of the opportunities that you have in your life to be patient or let go of that control.  

Being aware of what triggers behavior is a key part to healing. When I find myself getting impatient or trying to control a situation that is clearly out of my control, I step back, take a deep breath, and recognize the moment for what it is, an opportunity. It takes time and practice to make a behavior an integral part of yourself.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have all of the answers yet, but I have seen the positive changes in my life since my return, for me, that is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis